|‘We are using state of the art imaging techniques (mpMRI, fusion biopsy and PSMA-PET/CT and PSMA-PET/MRI data) for selecting suitable patients for’ focal therapies and for follow-up after procedures’
PROSTATE CANCER FOCAL TREATMENT – HIFU TECHNIQUE
ONE OF OUR PATIENTS’ MRI DATA BEFORE AND AFTER THE HIFU PROCEDURE:
The area of the tumor focus and its surroundings have been completely destroyed (Arrows).
Other parts of the prostate gland that do not contain cancer are preserved.
- Risk of complication is low. It gives the opportunity to intervene cancer tissues without harming the surrounding organ and tissues.
- It provides an important advantage in preserving sexual life and bladder control.
- There is no blood loss and pain.
- There is rapid recovery. Patients are discharged the same day or one day after at most. Whereas they stay in hospital for 3-4 days after surgery.
- It is a nonsurgical procedure. It is a good option for those patients who don’t want to go through surgery or who are not fit for surgery (elderly patients)
- There is no incision.
- It involves no radiation contrary to radiotherapy and it is a one-session procedure.
- Radiotherapy lasts for 30 days and the patients need to come to hospital almost every day.
- Outpatient procedure is conducted.
- HIFU treatment may easily be carried out even after tumor regenerates after surgery, radiotherapy or HIFU treatment.
- Reduced risk of incontinence
- Reduced risk of erectile dysfunction
- Preservation of ejaculation
- Maintenance of prostate tissue
- Minimal invasive procedure
- Shorter period of procedure
- Outpatient treatment
- Rapid recovery
- Goes back to work in a few days.
- Blood and tissue in urine: While catheter is in place, you might see some blood in your urine. 6 to 8 weeks after HIFU procedure, you may see some small prostate tissue in your urine. This is normal. Yet if you get anxious, please consult your doctor.
- Erection problems: Very seldom erection and maintaining erection (erectile dysfunction) problems might be observed in some patients after HIFU procedure. The reason for this is that the procedure might harm some blood vessels and nerves that control erection. For some men this is a temporary problem. Yet sometimes the side effect might be a longer-term problem.
- Urinary infections: Some men have urinary infections after HIFU procedure. The symptoms of a possible urinary infection are: